ACMS Fellowship Training
Upon completion of a dermatology residency, a physician can apply to participate in a Micrographic Surgery & Dermatologic Oncology (Mohs) fellowship training program. Qualified applicants undergo an extremely competitive review and selection process to obtain a 1- to 2-year fellowship position with a program accredited by the ACMS (international programs), the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME; U.S. programs), or the Australasian College of Dermatologists. ACGME and ACD programs are recognized by the ACMS, and fellowships accredited by these organizations safeguard the standards of Micrographic Surgery & Dermatologic Oncology (Mohs) by ensuring that fellows-in-training are properly trained and acquire the necessary expertise to perform the Mohs procedure. Accredited programs follow a structured curriculum that includes graded responsibility, operative and non-operative education, and exposure to long-term results, recurrences, and complications.
- ACMS & ACGME Approved Fellowship Training Director Listing
- ACMS Fellowship Training Policies, Procedures, and Guidelines
- ACMS Fellowship Training Core Curriculum
- ACMS Grievance Committee
- Micrographic Surgery & Dermatologic Oncology (Mohs) Fellowship FAQs
Program Directors’ Repository
The Program Directors’ Repository is a digital resource of documents for current and prospective Directors of private practice/independent (not associated with a core Dermatology Residency Program) and academic-based Micrographic Surgery & Dermatologic Oncology fellowships, with the intent to help navigate fellowship regulations.
Click here to access the available resources (ACMS member login required).
The Micrographic Surgery & Dermatologic Oncology (Mohs) Fellowship match is administered by San Francisco Match. Registration for candidates begins in June, interviews are conducted in the Fall, and the match occurs in December for training beginning the following year. Most training programs run for one year, July to June.
Upon graduation, a case log (ACMS or ACGME) documenting each case participated in or performed by the fellow is required. The case log should be submitted to the SISRB executive office by August 1 of the year the fellow graduates (if the program is completed on or before July 31; Graduates after July 31 must submit their application for membership to the ACMS for the following year).
Please note that the following components are required for each case for both ACMS & ACGME case logs:
- Case number
- Primary/Recurrent (P/R)
- Pre-Op Size*
- Post-Op Size*
- Number of Stages
- Complex Case (Y/N)
- Supervising Faculty Name
- Fellow Role Primary/Assisting (P/A)
*Not required for ACGME case logs
NOTE: If you are submitting an ACGME-format case log, to generate the correct report, go to the Reports tab in the Case Log System and run the report entitled "Resident Mohs Micrographic Surgery Report," which is the link to the version that can be printed.
Materials to submit for membership:
|Documents to submit for ACMS Associate membership||
|ACMS Associate Membership Application
|Fellowship Case Log
CD-ROM or flash drive submissions
|$75 Application Fee Invoice with Payment
|Letter of Recommendation
from Program Director
|Evaluation of Fellow
(Completed by Program Director)
|Trainee Evaluation of Fellowship Program
The following forms are sent to Program directors at the end of the training year. The Annual Acknowledgement, Assessment Fee, Number of Cases, and Incoming Fellow forms are required each year for ACMS-approved programs, regardless of whether a fellow is graduating. The Fellow Evaluation is only required when a fellow is graduating. ACGME-approved programs are only required to submit the Incoming Fellow form and the Evaluation of Fellow (if applicable). All yearly information is due August 1. Consult the Membership and Dues page of the ACMS web site for an Associate Membership Application and Case Log for your fellow.
- Annual Acknowledgement Form (for international programs only)
- Fellowship Training Program Assessment Fee Invoice (for international programs only)
- Fellowship Training Number of Cases Form (for international programs only)
- Final Evaluation Of Fellow (to be filled out by Director)
- Training Program Information - Incoming Fellow
- Faculty Applicant Letter
- Director Application (for new international programs only)
- Associate Director Application
- Surgical Faculty Application
- Senior Faculty Application
- Faculty Application Invoice
To help training programs prepare for a site visit, below is the Survey Instruments & Documents form, which is used to evaluate the program by the site visitor. The ACMS Fellowship Training Policies, Procedures, and Guidelines & Mohs Micrographic Surgery Fellowship Training Core Curriculum can be found at the top of this webpage to further assist with the preparation.
Previous Fellows and Directors
- Fellows and Directors 2015-2016
- Fellows and Directors 2014-2015
- Fellows and Directors 2013-2014
- Fellows and Directors 2012-2013
- Fellows and Directors 2011-2012
- Fellows and Directors 2010-2011
- Fellows and Directors 2009-2010
- Fellows and Directors 2008-2009
- Fellows and Directors 2007-2008
- Fellows and Directors 2006-2007
- Fellows and Directors 2005-2006
- Fellows and Directors 2004-2005
- Fellows and Directors 2003-2004
- Fellows and Directors 2002-2003
- Fellows and Directors 2001-2002
- Fellows and Directors 2000-2001
- Fellows and Directors 1999-2000
- Fellows and Directors 1998-1999
- Fellows and Directors 1997-1998
- Fellows and Directors 1996-1997
Important: The links above are available as Adobe Acrobat (PDF) files. If you do not have a copy of Adobe Reader software, you can download it for FREE here.