Question of the Week
October 7, 2020
Which of the following statements is true:
- While Merkel cell polyomavirus (MCPyV) is implicated in many cases of Merkel cell carcinoma (MCC), it is estimated that 80 percent are caused primarily by UV-induced DNA mutations.
- MCPyV integrates into the host genome in both non-lesional and lesional tissue of patients with MCC.
- It is estimated that 80 percent of MCC in the northern hemisphere is due to MCPyV.
- The incidence of MCC has remained relatively unchanged over the last 30 years.
- Immune status and environmental factors have little influence in MCC.